aStore

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Un-abandoning my novel!


I've been working on my very first novel for over 3 years now, minus the past year that I mostly abandoned any effort to write significantly on it.

I ask myself why I have abandoned it, when I was formerly working on it so actively.  I answer friends and family who ask how my writing is going: "Oh, slowly, I have been so busy!"  Truth is, I was not less busy previously when I was working on the novel, I just made time for it.

A few things happened that slowed me down, I believe, and I need to conquer each one:

1.) I got some non-glowing feedback from a few people I shared a few chapters with;
2.) I realized I have too many protagonists, all but one a woman (very unusual for science fiction!)
3.) I am stuck on a particular point in the book where all my protagonists come together in one place at one time, and I have found the event impossible to navigate for some reason;
4.) I did too much research and realized I was getting bogged down in scientific details that most readers would not care about;
5.) I have been over-editing (repeatedly!) the chapters already written, rather than moving forward with new ones (due to #3 and #4 above);

So this blog is going to be about getting un-stuck from each of the challenges above and moving forward to get my novel drafted in 2014!

I hope to get feedback in this blog on my writing, my characters, and even my plot, to give me a push in the direction I need to finish, good or not.


No comments:

Post a Comment